Thursday 19 December 2013

A desynchronized expat

No, no no... I close my eyes again. I turn the pillow. I turn myself. I count those sheep for the 11th time. I turn the duvet. I sigh. I get up and head for the washroom with my eyes closed ( following the theory that if I open them I will wake up for real) I stumble over some toys on the way back. Back to bed. I close my eyes. My mind wander off. My eyes open. And they stay open. I glance at the watch. 04.05. I am wide awake. Now what? Do I surrender or do I continue the fight? Ok, you win! Good morning sunshine! Good morning jet lag.

Yup. Jet lag. The spice of expat life. A spice that usually stays far away from me, luckily - but not this time! So, that is why I find myself at 4.30 am in the kitchen, sipping tea and googling "jet lag",  (or "desynchronizing" which is the medical term (!)). So, I read that it should be easier to travel from east to west (than from west to east)..HM, and AHA: The cure is to expose myself to daylight in the daytime, and avoid light at nighttime. I sip my tea and stare out the window. It is so dark out there. I had kind of forgotten about the Nordic winters with the short days... I will have to rush out soon, to chase that daylight! Light, the key to synchronizing that stubborn I-am-not-leaving-Mumbai - body clock of mine!

The Nordic winters - with short days, but with those amazing blue hours.. I go for a walk and enjoy the light and atmosphere. The Christmas lights and decorations are up, and add some extra magic, just like with the Diwali celebration in India. Good to be outside, and wonderful to get back inside, curl up in the sofa with a cup of cocoa, and light some candles. Here are a few more moments from my holiday, dear reader:
During the afternoon blue hours, and with the Christmas decorations up
- to bring some extra light. (and yes, that is a Christmas tree floating in the lake!) 
A few hours later in the afternoon: - dark - but with Christmas Stars above
Christmas decorated homes 
Want one of these outside your house?
Oh Joy: After a walk in the cold: catching up time with good old friends in a cafe (with a yummy bite:-))
And coming back inside: light some candles, make a cuppa, and finish my blogpost:-)

Oh well, dear reader. So, I am still working on that synchronizing over here! As a B person, I kind of like the late evenings you know, so the Rise and Shine at 4.05 is just not... quite me...:-) I hope you are fine wherever you are! Synchronized or desynchronized..:-) Chasing or not chasing - that daylight:-) All the best to you!  



19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah - me too:-) sums it up in a funny way!Best

      Delete
  2. Spectacular pictures of the festive season, Eli! I can feel all of it here. Wow and a floating Christmas tree? we never have such scenes to witness in Mumbai! I am so sorry to hear about the jet lag though but I am sure with so much joy around you, you will be all synchronized pretty soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Arti! Yup- getting there for sure, and the festive around is wonderful:-) Hugs to you

      Delete
  3. Gosh, deja vu! Jet lag, on short vacations, takes up more time than vacation days! I beat them by staying awake in the flight and arriving super tired. That was I WILL fall asleep as soon as I hit the bed. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - yes, can relate to that:-) Happy holidays to you too!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful holiday pics - specially love the one with the candles. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Merry Christmas to you too:-)

      Delete
  5. Du er i Bergen! <> This is my first Christmas since arriving in Norway almost seven years ago that I'm not going to get into the city to see the lights. I'm so glad to see your photos and experience it through you! Takk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am..:-) Thank you dear Cindi, for you kind words! Wish you all the best!

      Delete
  6. Looks sooo beautiful there! I want to be there too. I hope you have gotten over the jet lag now Eli. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amelia! yup.. getting there:-) All the best to you! Hugs

      Delete
  7. Lovely Christmas you got there :) I wish I could visit there one day !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!
    Yes, I totally get it about it being so dark outside! It is pitch black at 4pm here! My inlaws are exhausted from the lack of sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alexandra! Oh, yes I can imagine your inlaws.. hope they will be ok:-) All the best to you and your family:-)

      Delete
  9. Lovely pictures dear Eli :) Hope the jet lag goes away and you get the much needed sleep! Amazing pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Pallavi! Sending you warm regards from winterland:-)

      Delete
  10. I am in Delhi and that post makes me shudder to think of cold. You need to worry about acclimatisation more than jetlag

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, I love comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave one:-)